Ad Blocker Detected
Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Dhekiakhowa Bornamghar is a place of worship located in Jorhat district of Assam. This holy centre was established by Sri Sri Madhabadeva during 1528 AD (Or 1450 Saka). This has now become one of the important destinations for Vaishnavite pilgrims.
Located at a distance about three and a half kilometers from National Highway 37, Dhekiakhowa Bornamghar, a place of worship of Vaishnavite religion in Assam, has become one of the most popular destinations for pilgrims. It is said that this place of worship was established by the saint-reformer Mahapurush Sri Sri Madhabadeva during 1528 AD (Or 1450 Sak) at Dhekiakhowa village under Jorhat district on the bank of the stream Buridiha. Since then, this ‘namghar’ has been continuing as an important centre for Vaishnavite religion. Madhabadeva was the main duty bound disciple of Mahapurush Srimanta Sankaradeva, pioneer of the Neo-Vaishnavite religion to Naam Dharma.
Guru Madhavadeva after taking up the duty of reforming people and spreading the Ekasharan Nam Dharma came to stay in this small and very poor village. He took shelter for the night at the hut of an old woman, who served him rice with Dhekia Saak (believed to be poor men veggie, but a very popular and tasty one). The old woman was very embarrassed to have served the Saint Guru like this but he was immensely pleased by the dinner. So he started a namghar there and given the responsibility of kindling the earthen lamp to the old woman. That is why the namghar was later known as Dhekiakhowa namghar.
Vaishnavite lamp in Dhekiakhowa Bor Namghar lamp has been kept burning for 484 years. The ‘Gurucharitra’ written by Sattraadhikar (Chief Monk) of Kamalabari Satra in Majuli Island about 300 years ago had mentioned about the lamp being lit by Madhabadeva.
* A republished article from BGT Travel Photography